The Masters: Third round suspended due to threat of thunderstorms at Augusta National | Golf News

0
17


Play suspended at 3.58pm local time at Augusta National due to the threat of lightning; Justin Rose held a one-shot lead at The Masters when the horn sounded

Last Updated: 10/04/21 9:38pm










0:43

Watch the moment play was suspended due to the threat of lightning at The Masters, with players and patrons removed from the course during the third round

Watch the moment play was suspended due to the threat of lightning at The Masters, with players and patrons removed from the course during the third round

The third round of the 85th Masters has been suspended due to adverse weather at Augusta National.

Augusta officials brought a halt to proceedings shortly before 4pm local time (9pm BST) due to the threat of lightning, with players and patrons removed from the course.

Overnight leader Justin Rose remained one ahead and was on the seventh green when the horn was sounded, with the Englishman birdieing his opening two holes but then posting back-to-back bogeys from the fourth.

Rose’s playing partner Will Zalatoris is his closest challenger and sits on six under, with Canada’s Corey Conners – who made a hole-in-one at the par-three sixth – in the group two off the pace with six holes of his round to play.

Hideki Matsuyama, Justin Thomas and Marc Leishman are alongside Conners on five-under, while three-time major champion Jordan Spieth is within three of the lead after making an incredible birdie from the trees at the par-five eighth.

0:33
Jordan Spieth escapes trouble from the trees at the eighth to set up an unlikely birdie

Jordan Spieth escapes trouble from the trees at the eighth to set up an unlikely birdie

A weather update issued less than an hour before play was stopped indicated that storms were not likely until later in the day, with the statement saying there was a 40 per cent chance of showers from 4pm local time and a 60 per cent risk of showers and isolated thunderstorms from 6pm.

It’s the second successive year that The Masters has experienced a weather delay, with the opening round of the 2020 contest stopped for nearly three hours due to heavy rain and the threat of storms.

Watch The Masters throughout the week live on Sky Sports’ dedicated channel – Sky Sports The Masters!

Get the best prices and book a round at one of 1,700 courses across the UK & Ireland

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here